EYES | MAYBELLINE VOLUM' EXPRESS MASCARAS



Hi all! Back with some make up talk for you today, and in the spotlight is make up brand Maybelline. Maybelline launched in Kenya earlier this year (along with power house brand Revlon). It's great to see international make up companies embracing the Kenyan market as the HUNGER is out there. I have got to admit though, I'm only a recent convert to Maybelline. I actually used to walk past their counter in make up shops for a long while, not quite seduced by their products, until around a year and half ago or so. I don't know what persuaded me to do it - maybe it's a rebranding and clever new marketing -  but since trying out their products, I am a huge fan and there is no going back!

So you've wandered down to your nearest stockist, and you're confronted with a shelf full of product. Where to start? Look no further than the Volum' Express mascara range.








Colossal Cat Eyes
A screaming yellow tube and leopard print?! I was sold at first sight. But when I first pulled out the brush, I really wasn't expecting the super thin, super curved wand. Maybelline say that it's a : "claw brush plump [that allows you to] spike out lashes at the corners for a wild cat-eye look". And with that I really can't disagree. This is a great little brush that really allows you to get to those hard to reach hairs and really pull them up and out. Formula-wise, it's a little on the thin side - but then I think it's supposed to be. Just not the best if you have sparse lashes like mine and you want volume. I often use this on my bottom lashes, and occasionally as a "base coat" for other thicker mascaras.

Price: KES 1,150
Packaging: 5/5
Overall: 3/5
Bottom line: A great mascara if you're looking for LENGTH. But if you're on the hunt for some volume, I'd suggest you keep looking!



Falsies
This is my current "go-to" mascara in my make up bag right now and I'm on my 3rd tube of the stuff. Yes, I love it. You get a bright purple tube with metallic blue writing, and a fat, slightly flat, curved brush  - shaped somewhat like  a spoon - that really helps build up volume with every layer. You will have to play around with this a little to get the right amount of product on the brush each time; I usually end up scraping some off the tip. But once you've mastered it, you're home! The trick is to apply a little each time and build up - 2-3 coats usually does it for me. Just don't over do it, or you'll end up with clumpy spider lashes. As with many mascaras, Falsies really does get better with age, so expect it to reach its peak around 2 weeks after use. 

Price: KES 1,150
Packaging: 5/5
Overall: 4.5/5





Mega Plush
As is custom in the range, you get another beautiful tube - this time, turquoise with purple lettering that just says, take me home. That aside, I'm a little undecided about Mega Plush. I love the formula - Maybelline's first gel mouse mascara - that's incredibly lightweight and applies like a dream. I'm just not so sold on the fat, domed brush with the wiggly Flexor Brush. It's great if you hate the resistance of a hard solid brush, which can be irritating to sensitive eyes. But it moves around just a little too much for me. I'm sure a couple more goes on this and I'll be sold completely. 

Price: KES 1,150
Packaging: 5/5
Overall: 3.5/5
Bottom line: Great formula, tricky wand that may take a little bit of work. A grower, maybe?


Have you tried out any of the Volum' Express mascaras yet? Which ones are your faves?

- Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment